Monday, October 17, 2016

Digital Blog Post #G- Chapter 10

One thing that I found to be very intriguing in this chapter, was the introduction to a speech recognition software. This software is able to perceive a person's spoken words, and transform them into physical words that will appear on a computer screen. I found these speech recognition software's to be very interesting mostly because they would be so beneficial to a disabled student. In the Padlet below, that I made using Padlet.com, I displayed what I thought was most interesting about this software.

Page 251 of this text book also introduces interactive whiteboards. Using an interactive whiteboard could be very beneficial for a teacher, especially if he or she taught a math class that involved using many graphs and straight lines. However, I believe that using a whiteboard in a language arts class would be just as good as using a marker. I once had a language arts teacher who used an interactive whiteboard in class, however the software seemed to be slow, and was constantly lagging. Whenever she would try to write on the board, the letters would not appear to be the way she hoped them to be. Because of this, many students, including myself, came across many difficulties with reading and understanding her handwriting. I believe that interactive whiteboards could be very beneficial to the classroom, depending on the teacher and the type of class it is. The video below briefly introduces interactive whiteboards.
I was also very impressed with the way that a teacher could combine technology and writing, as described on page 266 of the text book. This part of the chapter introduces the many apps that could be used to better improve the steps to the writing process. This includes apps that provide multiple notebooks to help a student stay organized, writing pads, spell check, etc. One app that really stood out to me was called Toontastic, which allows students to creatively tell stories, draw, animate, and share their own cartoons with their friends. I found that Toontastic would be a very fun app to incorporate in student learning. In a blogpost entitled Integrating Technology for Teachers, Chris Loat explains the benefits of using Toontastic in the classroom.


This chapter provides many helpful ideas to bring in the classroom that will further benefit the teacher and the student. I found the speech recognition software to be very interesting, and will make sure to keep that in mind when I come across a disabled student in my classroom. I also learned about interactive whiteboards, and how they could be used to benefit some teachers in their teaching. I was introduced to a wide variety of helpful apps, and found Toontastic to be my favorite.




Resources:


Garcia, V. (2016, October 17). Speech Recognition Software. 
 
How to use an Interactive Whiteboard. (2009, May 12). Retrieved October 17, 2016, from YouTube 
     website: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLxVjw1yvRk 
 
Loat, C. (2013, October 24). Using Toontastic in the Classroom. Retrieved October 17, 2016, from 
     Integrating Technology for Teachers website: http://blogs.sd38.bc.ca/tech38/2013/10/24/using-toontastic-in-the-classroom/ 



Maloy, R., O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc.






No comments:

Post a Comment