Monday, December 12, 2016

Final: Reflective Post

I am very glad to say that I have learned so much by taking Introduction to Technology for Educators. I began this class knowing little to nothing about technology and how it could be used in a classroom. Now that the class is coming to an end, I am very familiar with digital blog posts, wikis, WebQuests, teacher web pages, lesson plans, creating rubrics, and so many more. I can honestly say that I am so glad to have taken this class because every single piece of information that I learned can be used to improve my future teaching.
(The link to this image can be found here)


One thing that I really liked about this class is the fact that everybody got an opportunity to interact with one another. Although I took this class online, I still felt like I was a part of a classroom. We were assigned a couple group projects that allowed us to interact with one another, but what I really loved were the discussion topics. I learned so much valuable information in these discussion topics, while also feeling the friendliness of my classmates who commented on my posts. One learning outcome that was listed on the syllabus was for us students to analyze and evaluate a selection of technological tools for assisting students with special and/or diverse needs, and link the technology to specific outcomes for these students. I met this goal through Discussion Topic #3. I cannot stress enough how important and beneficial every single discussion topic has been for me, but Discussion Topic #3 really opened my eyes to the wide variety of technology tools that can be used to assist disabled students in their learning. Because of Discussion Topic #3, I was introduced to FM Systems, Field Systems, and CART Systems. An article entitled Classroom Assistive Listening Devices briefly goes over the many systems that can aid a disabled person in his or her class.




Another thing that I loved about this class was creating a WebQuest. Before completing this class, I had never even known what a WebQuest was. After learning about WebQuests and creating one of my own, I love the idea of using them in the classroom. I had fun creating one, and many students have fun participating in them. The WebQuest that I created in class meets the syllabus learning outcome that states, "The students will develop an Internet-based project that uses technology as both a medium and a goal of K-12 instruction."


I also learned a lot in completing a Website Evaluation, Critique, and Rubric. The main thing that I learned from most in this assignment was how to create a rubric. Before this class, I had never created a rubric before, and I often looked at it as a quick and easy task. After completing this assignment, I have realized that there is actually a lot of time and thought that goes into creating a good rubric. The video above provides many helpful tips in creating a good rubric.


All in all, I have honestly learned so much in taking this class. I have learned a lot through discussion topics, WebQuests, and creating rubrics. I very much look forward to incorporating the use of technology in my classroom.


References:


Classroom Assistive Listening Devices. (n.d.). Retrieved October 15, 2016, from California Ear Institute website


"How to Create a Rubric for Grading Student Work." Youtube. N.p., 11 Nov. 2013. Web. 12 Dec. 2016.





No comments:

Post a Comment